Like it or not, winter is on its way, so this is the perfect time to make sure the house is ready. You may not want to think about the cold days that will soon hit our area, but preparing early can help to ensure a comfortable environment in the house. Proper insulation is one household essential that can make a big difference in many ways.
Why Insulation is Important
Most homeowners know that adding insulation to the attic is important, but many may not be clear on the reasons why. Installing high-quality insulation can help in the following ways:
- It makes a home more comfortable by allowing for better temperature regulation (in winter AND in summer)
- It can help lower energy bills for heating and cooling
- It can provide sound insulation from outside disturbances
- It can make a house more eco-friendly by shrinking its carbon footprint due to a reduction of energy use
- It can prevent pipes from freezing in the winter
- It can provide a safer home structure by preventing water vapor from eroding the wood
When to Replace the Insulation
There are certain signs that can indicate that it’s time for the insulation to be replaced. They might include:
- Allergies that become more prevalent, a moldy smell in the house or water leaks can all indicate that the insulation has worn out, leaving holes or gaps that allow excess moisture into the house and possibly mold or mildew growth
- Unwanted critters in the attic can also be a sign. Old insulation that needs to be replaced makes an ideal material for animals like rodents, insects or birds to nest in
- If you find it difficult to keep the house heated or cooled properly, that is one of the biggest signs that the insulation could be due for a replacement. Unwanted drafts are not good, and they often originate from an attic that is ineffectively insulated.
At Lakes Area Home Inspections, we believe comfort and safety are extremely important to every homeowner, and that’s why we are so thorough when inspecting a home. Proper insulation is just one of many interior and exterior items we inspect and report on, so you can be confident that the home is, and will be, safe and secure now and into the future. Contact us at 262-818-0911 to schedule an appointment or visit us online to learn more about our process.
LAHI serves the entire area of Northern IL and Southern WI. If you are in Johnsburg, Libertyville, Schaumburg, St Charles or the surrounding areas, give us a call at (224) 334-8885 so we can get you on our schedule